Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Power Records Podcast, Episode 2: Christmas!

sgThe Fire and Water Podcast Presents: THE POWER RECORDS PODCAST, Episode 2: Christmas With The Superheroes

It's Christmas time at The Power Records Podcast! Rob is joined by guest co-host Michael Bailey to talk about three holiday adventures: Superman in "Light Up The Tree, Mr. President", Wonder Woman in "The Prisoner of Christmas Island", and Batman in "The Christmas Carol Caper." We wrap up with Listener Feedback!

Leave a comment on our sites:
THE AQUAMAN SHRINE - http://www.aquamanshrine.net
FIRESTORM FAN - http://firestormfan.com

Have a question or comment? Drop us a line at firewaterpodcast@comcast.net

This episode brought to you by InStockTrades - http://instocktrades.com


Opening and closing themes courtesy Peter Pan Records

Thanks for listening! Fan the Flame and Ride the Wave!


2 comments:

  1. This episode was a lot of fun! A few quick notes:

    1) The actor playing the villain in the Superman story was quite good. Am I the only one who detected that he did a pretty fair impersonation of Burt Lancaster? He certainly seemed to mimic Lancaster's way of delivering dialogue.

    2) The Wonder Woman episode was my favorite of the bunch. I think this episode would make a great Rankin-Bass-like stop-motion animated show! Warner Animation needs to make this NOW! Listen to it again with that style of show in mind and you'll see what I mean.

    3) The Batman segment was weird. It seemed to take a lot of its cues from the 60's Batman show, which was really in line with the first year of Batman stories after Julie Schwartz took over as editor. This was the time of friendly Batman covered in the first Batman Showcase volume. It even had a bit of a Bob Haney feel to it.
    Adding to the wonkiness of this story was the impression I had that the actor playing the main villain reminded me of Stan Lee! Mind you, it might be because I was listening to the podcast through my headphones at the local Shop-Rite, but danged if he didn't sound a bit like Stan the Man to my ears...

    Still, a great show with lots of nostalgic memories...
    I used to listen to Power Records when I was much younger. I think we has the Spider-Man/Man-Wolf story, the Batman and Robin/Joker story, the Captain America and Falcon/Phoenix story, the Spider-Man/Dragon Man story, and (I think) the Hulk one (?). I recognized the intro and outro music for this podcast episode as coming from the Batman record.

    Flashing back to the Neal Adams-drawn Monsters record and book, Neal Adams seemed so taken with his work on the book side that he's reprinted it a couple of times. I remember seeing the entire story reprinted in black and white in an old Art of Neal Adams book. It was also reprinted (and I think tweaked) in 2004 by Vanguard and can be seen here (http://www.amazon.com/Neal-Adams-Monsters-NEAL-ADAMS/dp/1887591559) and here (http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Vanguard-Productions/NEAL-ADAMS-MONSTERS-HC/OCT032763). It'd be interesting to compare the original artwork with the artwork from this reprint.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete